So, Masaman curry:
- It's tasty
- It's pretty easy to cook
- So try it!
Ingredients (for four meals):
- 2 tbsp Masaman curry paste (which you can buy from Mai Thai near Hlemmur, and store in a freezer)
- A cup of coconut milk
- One pound of meat cut into 1 inch cubes
- A couple of large potatoes, cut in 1 inch cubes
- An onion, cut in 8 chunks
- 1/2 cup of cashews (peanuts should work too)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
Also, I've added 1/2 tbsp of tamarind powder, 1/2 tbsp of cinnamon and some bay leaves, but you don't have to add those.
Heat up the coconut milk and curry paste over med/low heat for five minutes or so, and mix well. Add the meat, and some water (enough to cover up all the meat) and the spices / salt / sugar.
Stew for half an hour or so, then add the potatoes, onion and cashews. Cover and simmer for another half hour, adding water if necessary. When the potatoes are soft enough, you're done!
Note that the flavors in the meal take some time to come together, so you should cook this meal one day before serving it, and reheat a day later. Serve with rice, and enjoy!
There's a good recipe for a cucumber salad on that same page I linked to, you can look it up. Oh, and you should serve this with Rambutans and Longans for dessert, to complete the Thai experience :).